One important aspect about an apartment is how well it gets cooled or heated. A well-maintained HVAC system is a must. Maintenance is key. Below, you will find some great tips that range from finding a good contractor to ensuring your unit is working properly.
- Many homeowners forget to oil their condenser at least once per year, but it is required. You’ll find these ports are covered with a metal or rubber cap. Use SAE 20 oil that is lightweight and detergent free, and put ten drops or fewer into each one. Make sure not to overfill them.
2. Find a place that is shaded for your compressor. The cooler the air which goes in, the less work the unit should do. Have the HVAC system checked twice a year at the least. Checks in the spring as well as in autumn are the best. Whether you know of problems or not, good maintenance will help you to avoid future issues.
- A programmable thermostat is a simple way to help save money on air conditioning costs. It may save you as much as 10 percent of your overall utility bill if you turn your thermostat down by 10-15 degrees for a portion of the day. Some programmable thermostats can even be controlled from a PC or other device.
- When you are away from home, adjust your thermostat to a money saving temperature. The house will heat up when it is turned off, but only a certain amount. Leaving it on all the time only makes it work harder and results in a larger utility bill.
- When you’re purchasing an HVAC system, make sure that you get a unit that is properly sized for your space. Buying a unit that is too large for your home is a poor decision that wastes money. Look in the manual or on the manufacturer website for this information. If you need a HVAC contractor, try and get recommendations from family and friends. Those who have had this work done will know the best options. This is an excellent way to find which companies to stay away from.
- If your current PTAC system isn’t working well enough, test out the ducts for leaks. This is a job your local utility provider may do for you inexpensively or even free of charge. When you repair the leaks, you’ll see that the tests paid for themselves.
- If you hear clicking inside your Packaged Terminal unit, look for an obstruction. It might be debris in the way of the blade. Simply get rid of the debris to get rid of the issue. See if you can do it yourself before getting a professional.
An experienced HVAC company should be chosen to help you out. Reliable companies insist that their technicians are prompt. An experienced person will quickly know what is going on with your unit. When they know what the problem is, they should know how to fix it quickly so that it works properly.
When determining the location of your air conditioning unit, think about which way the air flows. If you have no choice but to put it in the corner, be sure to buy a unit which allows for the air flow direction to be changed away from the wall.
Prior to engaging the services of a contractor to handle your HVAC system, be sure to find out about the kind of experience he has. You need to verify they have the type of experience needed to work on your particular system. While you may not know if a worker with no experience will work well or not, it’s not a good idea to take a chance with this.
When you need to find a contractor to handle your HVAC work for you, make sure that the one you choose has a phone number they will answer 24-hours per day. Particularly if you have a family, you may need service at odd hours or on weekends.
Make sure you know about the cost of HVAC work when getting a contractor to work on it. There are dishonest contractors out there that will overcharge you. This is why getting estimates in writing is so important.
Now you know how to maintain the HVAC in your home. If you ignore the system and the required maintenance, then it will fail when you need it the most. These tips will help you keep your unit maintained and should help you if you ever need it replaced as well.
Sigma Air Conditioning NYC is proud to be have been servicing the Greater New York City area for over 25 years. Our team of experts is here to work with you to meet all your air conditioning needs. We provide air conditioning service, sales, and will install your new air conditioning if you require it.
Contact us now at 📞646-727-9322